cc-licenses - Re: Two Questions

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: Mike Linksvayer <ml AT creativecommons.org>
  • To: Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: Two Questions
  • Date: Thu, 14 Oct 2004 09:34:07 -0700

Greg London wrote:
Rob Myers said:
>Lots of work I'm finding is licensed CC-1.0 . My work is CC-2.0 . If I
contact
>the licensor and ask them nicely to upgrade to CC-2.0, what is the *minimum*
>required to effect this change? Can I just get an email from them saying
"yes,
>I license this work 2.0" as sufficient proof?

You only need to ask permission to relicense or incorporate a 1.0 licensed work into a 2.0 licensed work with the same license save version if the 1.0 license is ShareAlike.

Lots of work I'm finding is licensed CC-BY. My work is CC-BY-SA. If a work is
licensed CC-BY, I assume it cannot simply be mixed with CC-BY-SA. Is that
right? Again, if I ask the licensor nicely to offer the work BY-SA as a
dual-license alongside BY, can I just get a confirmation email from them? If
not, what's the minimum requirement?

CC-BY is like a BSD with advertising clause, isn't it?

Not exactly. The advertising clause sepcifically refers to advertising, see <http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/bsd.html>.

You should be able to make a CC-BY work MORE restrictive
by applying CC-SA and satisfy the CC-BY requirements.

well, assuming you're derived version includes the
attribution requirements of the original CC-BY work.

You can take CC-BY and make it CC-BY-SA.
But you can't take CC-BY-SA and make it CC-BY.

Right.

that's my non-lawyer understanding...

Me too.

--