cc-licenses - Re: abandonware, due diligence, registration, relicensing

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: Rob Myers <robmyers AT mac.com>
  • To: cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: abandonware, due diligence, registration, relicensing
  • Date: Mon, 27 Sep 2004 11:35:38 +0100

I am not a lawyer, I am nothing to do with Creative Commons, this is not
legal advice.

On Sunday, September 26, 2004, at 04:20PM, Branko Collin <collin AT xs4all.nl>
wrote:

>- Licenses and copyright statements were often embedded in the
>compiled game code. Recompiling twenty year old software is often not
>an option. Also, from a 'museum curator' point of view, modifying the
>original code seems to me like putting a sticker "No photographs!" on
>the Nightwatch.

The CC licenses are good for binary-only distributions and abandonware, as is
the CC system for dedicating a work to the Public Domain if people want to do
that.

For new distributions and for old games where people have the code and want
to share the code, the GPL might be better. Since you state that one of your
goals is to drive the creation of new work, having source available is a good
idea and the GPL ensures this. BY-SA doesn't ensure source code availability.

I don't know about changing the copyright and license notices. An
accompanying note may be sufficient as long as it makes clear that it
supercedes the notice on the binary.

>In other words, where do we stand on due diligence?

I've no idea, but see the FSF's method: get a copyright assignment from the
author, and a waiver of interest from their employer. In your case the author
probably isn't assigning copyright. But you'll still want to get them to put
in writing that the game is theirs, that they have the rights to it, that
they are placing it under license X and that they understand the meaning of
the license they are placing it under. Email may or may not be legally
admissible evidence where you are, but you can't beat something in writing.

http://www.gnu.org/prep/maintain/maintain.html#Legal-Matters

- Rob.