cc-licenses - Re: SourceForge and CreativeCommons

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: "Greg London" <email AT greglondon.com>
  • To: "Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts" <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: SourceForge and CreativeCommons
  • Date: Fri, 4 Jun 2004 16:52:37 -0400 (EDT)

While attribution may seem harmless, and while
it seems sensible to follow the statistics that
most CC licenses were generated with
Attribution, the thing is that CC's model
is one of a Market Economy.

CC's model is for small projects, a single
author releasing some work, and perhaps
one or two remixes occur after that.
The Derivation tree is exceeding short,
it's actually more like a shrub or bush.

Some of the software you get with RedHat linux
and other distributions can trace its roots
back to 1984. The number of contributers is
massive. The derivation tree
would look like a mile-wide Sequoia.

Boot up time for Linux, including the time
for its "Attribution Splash Screen" would
be an hour.

Having attribution embedded in the source code
with URL's and names and copyright notices is
fine. but "Reasonable to the medium" and splash
screens would choke any large, self-sustaining
gift economy.

Self-sustaining means always accumulating.
Wikipedia will always be accumulating entries
as time goes by and current events become
historical fact. This means that wikipedia
will have an ever-accumulating mass of
contributers that would make a splash screen
impossible.

having Attribution on any long term project
is short-sighted.