cc-licenses - Re: Copyrighted content in CC'd weblog

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: Chris Morris <chrismo AT clabs.org>
  • To: lis AT osmond-riba.org, Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Cc:
  • Subject: Re: Copyrighted content in CC'd weblog
  • Date: Tue, 20 Apr 2004 14:46:08 -0500

Elisabeth Riba wrote:

I know this is a novice question, but I can't seem to find the answer
offhand.

I'm thinking of adding a CC license to my weblog, but I make a lot of
fair-use quotes of other people's materials (generally from news stories,
but also the occasional book excerpt or use of somebody else's photo).

Can anybody recommend a good disclaimer for my weblog which identifies
that only MY creations are under CC license, without hurting the rights of
anybody else? [And without necessitating I edit existing weblog posts to
put copyright notices in them?]

I always assumed (I'm not a lawyer) that since my fair-use quote didn't require any licensing, that the quote itself is sort of a fair-use island inside my CC licensed stuff.

If I'm allowed to quote it under fair-use (assuming it is fair-use), everyone else should be allowed to make the same quote on their own, therefore there's no need for such a disclaimer.

Just my very non-lawyerly half-cent.

--
Chris
http://clabs.org