cc-licenses - Re: Open database, closed site

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: email AT greglondon.com
  • To: cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: Open database, closed site
  • Date: Mon, 01 Mar 2004 13:12:17 -0800 (PST)

On Mon, 1 Mar 2004 13:33:05 -0500, cc AT iblist.com wrote:
> I run a site that is a database of books and other printed media (see e-mail
> address for domain). I want to open the database for download through me
> only
> under the Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 1.0 license (I wish 2.0 would
> get out already). What I want is for the website itself to be completely
> restricted, but they can download the database through me under the above
> license (I ddon't want them running a harvester bot or anything). Does
> anyone
> see any problems with using the above license on this kind of site?

If you want to be the sole source for the database,
you want to use "All Rights Reserved".
People will be able to get Copies of the database
from you, but they will not be able to Copy,
Distribute, or Create Derived Works.
That's what All Rights Reserved means.

If you want to create Open Content, then
you will have to release some rights back
to the public so that they have incentive
to contribute to the project. The idea being
that you give away enough rights to make the
project belong ot the Community rather than
holding it as your personal property.

According to the iblist "about" page:
"All the data on IBList has been entered by its users."
"We do not claim any ownership over the user-submitted data. "

If you are not claiming ownership, you have
no Copyrights to claim "All Rights Reserved"

There is also nothing on the "Submit Form"
where people contribute book information
to indicate how their contribution is to
be licensed.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Open_content