cc-licenses - Re: Warranty Issue Revisited

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: Evan Prodromou <evan AT wikitravel.org>
  • To: Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: Warranty Issue Revisited
  • Date: Thu, 19 Feb 2004 04:20:33 -0500

TAJ> And finally, I have yet to attend a play or read a book where
TAJ> I was provided with a warranty of any kind. I've also never
TAJ> seen a best-seller that warrants that the author is in fact
TAJ> the author, or heard a song on the radio where the singer
TAJ> guarantees--before singing a note--that she's executed
TAJ> contracts with the lyricist, the record company, and all the
TAJ> rest before she recorded her latest hit.

You've obviously, then, never done a professional publication contract
for any of these type of works. Every contract I've ever seen or
signed for written work has had an indemnification and warranty, and
I've seen one or two for music that have similar clauses.

The warranty clause is not really all that important for end
users. It's important for publishers and redistributors.

~ESP

--
Evan Prodromou <evan AT wikitravel.org>
Wikitravel - http://www.wikitravel.org/