cc-licenses - A question about Share-Alike

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: Sal Randolph <sal AT highlala.com>
  • To: Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: A question about Share-Alike
  • Date: Wed, 26 Nov 2003 10:28:16 -0500

Hi!

I've recently gotten a question from a user about incorporating music from the opsound site (which is all under the Attribution-ShareAlike license) into what they describe as "commercial websites". My guess would be that any page which used by-sa music (as, say, background music for the page experience) would need to be itself licensed as by-sa. In other words, it would be considered a derivative work. It's also my understanding that a movie using by-sa music as soundtrack would similarly be a derivative work. Is this correct? And how about a page which merely linked to the music but didn't play it? That seems like it wouldn't be a derivative use, no? Is there a good source on the cc site or elsewhere that I can refer people to in terms of understanding the definitions of derivative work?

All the best,

Sal