cc-licenses - licensing software

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: "Dierk Ohlerich" <chaos AT xyzw.de>
  • To: <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: licensing software
  • Date: Wed, 12 Nov 2003 00:07:48 +0100

You somehow "warned" using CC for licensing software in your FAQ. I suspect
your suggestion to use an open source lisence only applies for distribution
of source code. We want to distrubute executables without source that
generate realtime computer graphics (as on our webpages www.theproduct.de
and www.farb-rausch.de) under CC lisence. Any problem with that?

the "require attribution", "no commercial use", "share alike modification"
would suit us. if we distribute only the executable, does this imply that
the license (share alike) just applies to modification of the generated
music and video (that would be usefull to VJ's and musicians)? If someone
somehow gets access to the source-code (which might have no copyright
notice), he should not automatically get rights to the sources.

Dierk "Chaos" Ohlerich
www.theproduct.de