cc-licenses - Re: GPL and ShareAlike

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: Evan Prodromou <evan AT wikitravel.org>
  • To: Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: GPL and ShareAlike
  • Date: Fri, 15 Aug 2003 21:24:48 -0400

LdT> ShareAlike: [...] Is this license equivalent to Gpl?

No. There's no mention of or provision for source code in the
*-ShareAlike licenses.

No license is exactly equivalent to the GPL. The GPL is its own
license.

LdT> Which licenses are compatible with Gpl?

What do you mean by "compatible"? That you can include work under the
CC license into a GPL'd Derivative Work? Or that you can include GPL'd
work into a CC-licensed work? Only a few work for the first
(Attribution, I think, only), and none for the second.

LdT> which with Opensource? I suggest to create and add a logo also
LdT> for Opensource compatible licenses.

You mean, which licenses match the Open Source Initiative's "Open
Source Definition"? Perhaps you should ask OSI that:

http://www.opensource.org/

My guess is none -- again, none of the CC licenses mention "source
code" -- but I might be wrong.

~ESP

P.S. Do I have to put the stupid IANAL disclaimer in every post? I'm
not a lawyer.

--
Evan Prodromou <evan AT wikitravel.org>
Wikitravel - http://www.wikitravel.org/