cc-india - Re: [CC-India] CC Film Festival in India?

cc-india AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: CC-India Discussion List

  • From: Frederick FN Noronha फ्रेड्रिक नोरोन्या *فريدريك نورونيا <fredericknoronha AT gmail.com>
  • To: Pradeep Mohandas <pradeep.mohandas AT gmail.com>
  • Cc: cc-india AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [CC-India] CC Film Festival in India?
  • Date: Fri, 21 Mar 2014 00:06:09 +0530

I am admin for a documentary film makers' network, Docuwallahs2
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/docuwallahs2

If you suggest it there, it could well work!

I also believe that more film-makers, authors, puiblishers need to be convinced about CC.

Pls see below

Shoot, Share and CreateEdit

In an article titled "Shoot, Share and Create", Liang argues strongly that it makes sense for "documentary and alternative filmmakers in India (to) start licensing their works under an open content license".

Starting with a narrative of his interest in that subject, he writes: "When I was in law school, I had great aspirations of wanting to be a filmmaker, and an FTII-type (Film and TV Institute of India, a prominent school for film-making) friend told me the best place to start was to watch a lot of foreign films and documentaries. So I did that rather dutifully and spent many hours when I should have been reading corporate law, watching documentaries. My fondest memory of my placement in Mumbai with a law firm was when we took off to the Tata Institute of Social Sciences (TISS) and watched Anjali Monteiro and K P Jayashankar's film on the Yerawada prison in Pune."

His reasons for suggesting a rethink of licensing policies among alternative and documental film-makers in India, in this Creative Commons-licensed article, include:

  • Distribution, a major headache now: One of the biggest problems faced by documentary filmmakers in India has been the question of circulation and distribution. This is an issue which has been discussed in a number of meetings as well as on electronic mailing-lists in cyberspace.
  • If the work were available freely (again note this does not mean that you cannot charge for the documentary, but means that a person who has bought a copy may make a copy and distribute it to others), there would be far greater circulation of documentaries amongst other filmmakers, students, activists, scholars and general public.
  • Filmmakers don’t live off royalty: More important is the fact that most documentary filmmakers do not live off royalty in any case. Their films are either commissioned or they earn some money from various prizes, invitations and the like.
  • Another issue, of course, is to recognise the hundreds and thousands of influences and inspirations that have gone into our own films. We need to work beyond the assumed myths of copyright law, and develop alternative practices that recognise the multiplicity that goes into the making of a film.

http://freespeech.wikia.com/wiki/Lawrence_Liang