cc-europe - [CC-Europe] Introducing CopyrightExceptions.eu - request for reviews

  • From: Maarten Zeinstra <mz AT kl.nl>
  • To: cc-europe AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [CC-Europe] Introducing CopyrightExceptions.eu - request for reviews
  • Date: Thu, 21 Jul 2016 14:45:08 +0200

Hi all,

Copyright can be a messy affair, especially in Europe. Every country has its little quirks, particularly when it comes to exceptions and limitations to copyright. Kennisland (Project lead of CC-NL) is developing some transparency in this field by creating a useful tool: CopyrightExceptions.eu

CopyrightExceptions.eu collects and visualises where these exceptions are implemented. Over the years a number of studies has been undertaken to index which exception is implemented in which member state (and to what degree) but there was no easily accessible up-to-date resource that documents the exceptions for all EU member states (including Norway and Switzerland). We hope this tool will help you as a law professional to teach, inform or to argue about copyright exceptions in Europe.

Join in! / Share your knowledge!

CopyrightExceptions.eu will launch in September this year, untill that time we want to verify as much data as possible. We have collected data from these studies and are now verifying this data with local experts like yourself.

The European Union harmonised exceptions and limitations through the InfoSoc directive and the Orphan Works directive. The InfoSoc directive contains a list of 21 exceptions and limitations (article 5), 20 of which are not mandatory. This creates a situation where user rights across Europe are a patchwork with no clear overview.

Do you want to help us make an accurate overview of the copyright exceptions in Europe? Go to dev.copyrightexceptions.eu and log in with the password <review>. Take a look at the exceptions across Europe by exploring the map, or the table view. In the table view you can click on any country name or cell to get to a textual overview of a specific country. Mail me directly or use the feedback form on dev.copyrightexceptions.eu/feedback to report any inconsistencies or other feedback.

Please contact me if you are planning to help us review our tool for your country, that way I can keep you up to date with any other feedback we get for your jurisdiction.

Together we can create a transparent view on user rights in Europe!

Kind regards,

Maarten Zeinstra

--
Kennisland | www.kl.nl | t +31205756720 | m +31643053919 | @mzeinstra

  • [CC-Europe] Introducing CopyrightExceptions.eu - request for reviews, Maarten Zeinstra, 07/21/2016