cc-europe - Re: [CC-Europe] License Ouverte

  • From: Melanie Dulong de Rosnay <melanie.ddr AT gmail.com>
  • To: Paul Keller <pk AT kl.nl>
  • Cc: CC Europe <cc-europe AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [CC-Europe] License Ouverte
  • Date: Tue, 26 Jan 2016 15:54:13 +0100

Hi Paul,

This is the governmental open data license, like the UK, Norway, Italy, Canada and maybe other jurisdictions, France decided to develop their own customized open gov licence.
Etalab (the gov agengy in charge of the national open data portal) developed the licence.

The compatibility clause is not more developed than the text in your link:

To facilitate the re-use of the “Information,” this licence has been designed to be compatible with any licence which requires at least the attribution of the “Information.” For instance, it is compatible with the “Open Government Licence” (OGL) of the United Kingdom, the “Creative Commons Attribution 2.0” (CC-BY 2.0) licence of Creative Commons and the “Open Data Commons Attribution” (ODC-BY) licence of the Open Knowledge Foundation.

I had asked for details back then (I think there was a public consultation phase), no written answer was provided, but informal feedback was that the intention was to be flexible.

It is used by data.gouv.fr, the French open data portal (potentially
21446 datasets, local public sector bodies can also choose to use ODbL):
http://www.data.gouv.fr/fr/terms/

Cheers,
Melanie

I was wondering if someone here (CC-france) is able to provide me with some more information on the French License Ouverte which can be found here:

http://data.bnf.fr/docs/Licence-Ouverte-Open-Licence-ENG.pdf (english)
http://data.bnf.fr/docs/Licence-Ouverte-Open-Licence.pdf (french)

i ran into this license in some dealings with the Bibliotheque Nationale de France and i am a puzzled by this document. It seems to be around since 2011 but i have not heard much about it so far.
Is this something that is widely used in France?
and do we have any idea who developed it? Also does anyone have any information how the compatibility with CC-BY 2.0 was achieved/declared? best, Paul