cc-europe - [CC-Europe] re-sending: Two weeks to go until CC Global Summit 2015 (incl. some notes on all-staff call on 15th September)

  • From: John Hendrik Weitzmann <jhweitzmann AT mx.uni-saarland.de>
  • To: cc-europe <cc-europe AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [CC-Europe] re-sending: Two weeks to go until CC Global Summit 2015 (incl. some notes on all-staff call on 15th September)
  • Date: Sat, 3 Oct 2015 10:05:04 +0200

Dear all,

I'm trying to re-send this email as plain text only, which should have
gone over the list 2 days ago but for some weird reason didn't and is
nowhere to be found. It might have to do with HTML and links in the
text, and is enormously annoying. So you might get this info twice or
more, sorry for that ...

Dear CC Europeans,

in two weeks time from today we will have the first day of the 2015
Global Summit in Seoul and a lot is still to do until then. Here we want
to give you an overview of where things are and further down you can
find some notes from this week's all-staff call.

Summit preparation

Most urgent matter is our ad-hoc Pre-Summit 2015 Affiliate Survey
[https://docs.google.com/a/creativecommons.org/forms/d/1-__31p3E8omGZ08u9B1uJPdJH4xsL-B7GySA4LWoAJI/viewform],
which everybody should fill in until end of next week (Oct 9th) so that
we have some chance to make sense of the results.

Related to the survey is the miniconf on Day 0 (see also notes of the
all-staff call below) and the global network discussion it is meant to
kick off. Several of you will not arrive in time for this, but that
should be no worry, as the topic will be with us throughout the summit
and for a while afterwards. The survey provides space to send us input
beforehand, but if you have ideas/suggestions don't hesitate to also
contact us or Alek Tarkowski of CC Poland directly.

The summit programme is still shifting, so sessions that are in very
tight time slots might get more time allocated, f.e. due to others being
combined. Everybody who is leading a session should at some point in the
coming days be in touch with their track lead, regional coordinator(s)
and/or CC Korea to make sure everything is organized.

There is also going to be opportunity to meet the folks responsible for
the next State of the Commons publication, namely Jane Park, and if you
want to take part in this or have something in mind that should be
added, there's an opportunity to talk about it in person.

CC Europe Regional Meeting

We are planning a regional meeting for the Europeans, but the possible
time slots are quite rare. The days are packed with sessions while the
evenings are planned already with welcome reception on the 14th,
affiliate dinner on the 15th and party on the 16th. Some people are
leaving on the 17th, so we are contemplating to gather the group for a
breakfast meeting on the 17th at the conf hotel.
If anything changes with this plan, we'll let you know.
If you have suggestions for the meeting agenda, even if you don't atten
the summit, please let us know

Accomodation in Seoul

All scholarship recipients will be provided room in the main conf hotel
Ibis Style Myeongdong
[https://ibisstyles.ambatelen.com/myeongdong/information/traffic01.amb?gnbCode=140000&lnbCode=140400]
from 14th to 18th October (check out). As usual at summits there is a
request to share two-bed rooms if possible/appropriate/suitable, see
Mari's email thread "CC Summit Lodging". For accomodation outside the
summit time window and for people without travel scholarships, CC Korea
made some suggestions here
[https://docs.google.com/document/d/1gU6MgyToERzO9W5507I92byIR8Pf_WbjAbQdq9_c9SI/edit],
along with other useful notes.

Gwen and I will arrive on the 9th, so if you are also early and want to
meet up or go to the DMZ or do the Gangnam Style with us, send us a message.

Take care and see some of you soon
John & Gwen

- - - - - - - - - - - - - 8< - - - - - - - - - - - -

Notes, Sept. 15th all-staff call

Global Summit

- regarding Day 0, Paul Stacey summarized a call we had had this Monday
on the global network discussion, led by Alek Tarkowski, in which
several staff and RCs attended:

- Day 0 will see a 6 hour miniconf, consisting of 3 parts:
-- 1: where are we ...
--- data from previous yearly surveys will be looked at
--- we will possibly be portaying some affiliates, especially those who
cannot attend Day 0 or the summit
--- there will be an attempt to give an overview of the various types of
affiliates in the network
-- 2: goals
--- what do we want to do together in the future?
--- what do Affiliates want to achieve themselves?
-- 3: structure
--- how can we reach the goals?
--- what support is needed by whom?
--- implications for governance
--- what change is needed?
--- how to best communicate between HQ and Affiliates, but also between
Affiliates

- This is, of course, a lot to cover, but the discussion will unfold
also across the following 3 days

- There is a pre-summit survey in the making

Jane Park reports on the Platform Initiative (supported by Wikimedia)

- The Platform Toolkit is being developed
- With examples and lessons learned from 6 priority platforms:
flickr/yahoo, vimeo, Wikimedia Commons, Archive.org, YouTube, Twitter
- For several of those, the upgrade to 4.0 is the main focus, but that
also ties in with necessary updates of their Terms of Service and
processes in general.
- Other topics with these platforms include ways of marking (CC0, PDM),
ingestion of CC content from outside, defining of tech standards and more
Attachments area
Preview attachment CC Global Summit 2015_Info for international atten

  • [CC-Europe] re-sending: Two weeks to go until CC Global Summit 2015 (incl. some notes on all-staff call on 15th September), John Hendrik Weitzmann, 10/03/2015