cc-europe - [CC-Europe] Call to action 2: Translating the CC 4.0 Deeds

  • From: John Weitzmann <johnweitzmann AT creativecommons.org>
  • To: "cc-europe AT lists.ibiblio.org" <cc-europe AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [CC-Europe] Call to action 2: Translating the CC 4.0 Deeds
  • Date: Fri, 8 Nov 2013 20:47:11 +0100

Hi again,

It looks like CC 4.0 will be ready to launch very soon, and as Diane mentioned in her email today this will first and foremost require the Commons Deeds to be translated in time. We should thus try to have as much finished languages for the Deeds as possible before the launch, and right now are aiming at November 15th!

As you can see, this is nothing less than a (global) translation sprint, with many important languages rooted in Europe. So our regional group carries a lot of responsibility, as do we as Regional Coordinators. Please do the following:

- take note of the contents of the dummy staging server set up by Dan Mills to get an idea about how much needs to be translated (a lot), under http://l10n-staging.creativecommons.org/licenses/by/4.0/deed by clicking on your language. All that shows up in English needs translation;
- get in touch with us RCs before you start translating, and let us know until when you expect to be able to finish the Deeds in your language (that way we can also coordinate better and avoid to lose track of things);
- assemble/reactivate your team to work on the Transifex system as usual (and let us know should you need any assistance with this; we'll also find ways together to do transnational language translations)

We're confident that together we can make this a smooth transition to the new license version. I guess at this point everyone is looking forward to 4.0 finally out there.

Yours
John & Gwen

  • [CC-Europe] Call to action 2: Translating the CC 4.0 Deeds, John Weitzmann, 11/08/2013