cc-europe - Re: [CC-Europe] request for input: database rights in CC v4.0

  • From: Federico Morando <federico.morando AT polito.it>
  • To: "T. Margoni" <t.margoni AT uva.nl>
  • Cc: "cc-europe AT lists.ibiblio.org" <cc-europe AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [CC-Europe] request for input: database rights in CC v4.0
  • Date: Mon, 28 Jan 2013 14:47:31 +0100

On 01/28/2013 02:07 PM, T. Margoni wrote:
I am getting a bit lost. With "its content" are we not referring again
to the same pictures of Federico's example that we agreed are not
covered by the license?
This is how I understand this point:
- SA does not require the application of the same license to the pictures in my example (i.e. the viral aspect does not extend to the content of the database, e.g. in cases in which you add proprietary content to an existing CC BY-SA-licensed database); but
- if you just apply a CC BY-SA (for instance) license to a database, your general purpose standard licensing statement ("pointing" to the DB as a whole) is interpret as concerning the entire database and its content.

So, I think we basically agree, but we're talking about two different scenarios,

best,

Federico