cc-europe - Re: [CC-Europe] request for input: database rights in CC v4.0

  • From: "T. Margoni" <t.margoni AT uva.nl>
  • To: cc-europe AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Cc: Jay Yoon <iwillbe99 AT gmail.com>, Leon Felipe Sanchez Ambia <lion05 AT mac.com>, hala.essalmawi AT gmail.com
  • Subject: Re: [CC-Europe] request for input: database rights in CC v4.0
  • Date: Fri, 25 Jan 2013 10:59:03 +0100

Great example Federico!

I think our "not sure what exactly it means" coincides.

My understanding of what the whole issue (as explained by Sarah, and
also as explained in the original document) is along the lines of your
example. Copyright in the structure under SA, SGDR under SA, copyright
in the elements constituting the db, not under SA obligation.

But IF this is the result that we want to achieve, then I do not think
that our last sentence is a) necessary or b) clear (it could survive
rephrased as "for the avoidance of doubts", though).

The database directive is clear in identifying 3 layers of protection:

1) copyright in the selection/arrangement of content if author's own
intellectual creation (art. 3,1)

2) SGDR in the qualitative/quantitative substantial investment in
obtaining/verification/presentation of contents (art. 7,1)

3) Other rights (and for our case most importantly copyright/related
rights) in the content itself, which are left untouched by either 1) or
2), see arts. 3,2 and 7,4).

In light of that, if we license a db that is protected, say, by
copyright and SGDR, we are licensing only the work database, and not the
works eventually constituting the db, represented in Federico's examples
by the pictures, and the main reason is because we are in presence of
different and independent works/materials. Those pictures, are not bound
by SA, nor need to be under a CC (although issues regarding their
re-usability can emerge). GPL's copyleft provisions should operate quite
similarly.

Now, IF we agree that this is the part on which we all have doubts on,
and Sarah confirms that this is the intended meaning of that last
clause, then I suggest rewording, eventually even outside the license. I
say this because, what we described is the normal operation of the db
protection (copyright+SGDR), without the need of a specific clause. I do
agree though, that this might be a bit, a lot confusing especially to
users, therefore it needs to be addressed with clarity.

Sorry for the long email.

Best regards,

thomas