cc-europe - Re: [CC-Europe] Digital Assembly

  • From: melanie dulong <melanie.ddr AT gmail.com>
  • To: Prodromos Tsiavos <prodromos.tsiavos AT gmail.com>
  • Cc: cc-europe AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [CC-Europe] Digital Assembly
  • Date: Sun, 5 Jun 2011 18:49:55 +0200

Dear Pro and all,

I managed to register and will attend the open data workshop on the first day.
I think only Federico is going to give a talk.

Communia association will have a launch event in Brussels in the
evening of the 16th.

I'm copying the invitation below, here is a pdf :
https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&pid=explorer&chrome=true&srcid=10JZf8K7r1hAYNjtj7U34u6Mq67cnrF7Eo8ZV8DZVP6XKG-wFZAIeZw-FILqQ&hl=en_US

Thanks for forwarding it to your colleagues and lists.
Is any of you planning to come? Please let me/the list know so we can
coordinate.

Best,
Melanie

--
LAUNCH OF THE COMMUNIA INTERNATIONAL ASSOCIATION
16 JUNE 2011, BRUSSELS

The Communia Thematic Network (http://www.communia-project.eu) has
been funded by the European
Commission from September 2007 until February 2011. Coordinated of
Politecnico di Torino (Italy), the
Network gathered over 50 members from academia and civil society
researching and promoting the digital
public domain in Europe and worldwide. Four years later, Communia
members wish to pursue the cooperation
under the form of an International Non-Profit Association based in
Brussels. The Association’s mission is to
educate about, advocate for, offer expertise and research about the
public domain in the digital age within
society and with policy-makers.

After decades of measures that have drastically reduced the public
domain, typically by extending the terms
of protection, it is time to strongly reaffirm how much our societies
and economies rely on a vibrant and ever
expanding public domain. The role of the public domain, already
crucial in the past, is even more important
today, as the Internet and digital technologies enable us to access,
use and re-distribute culture with an ease
and a power unforeseeable even just a generation ago.

The Communia Association aims at pursuing this discussion…
• Help us create a more balanced discussion about copyright in the
digital environment and maximize the
economic, social and cultural impact of our cultural and scientific heritage.
• Join the launch event after the first plenary session of the EC
Digital Agenda Assembly…

COMMUNIA ASSOCIATION LAUNCH, 16 JUNE 2011
VENUE: THE MONK CAFÉ, RUE STE-CATHERINE, 42, 1000 BRUSSELS
FROM 19H ONWARDS - IN THE PRESENCE OF COMMUNIA ASSOCIATION CO-FOUNDERS

Programme:
Open discussion about the public domain in the digital world, the
future challenges
Prospectives on the future activity of Communia
Drinks and networking