cc-europe - [CC-Europe] Europeana and CC0

  • From: Alek Tarkowski <alek AT creativecommons.pl>
  • To: cc-europe AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [CC-Europe] Europeana and CC0
  • Date: Tue, 08 Mar 2011 11:13:49 +0100

Dear all,

I've just been told by a POlish librarian working for Europeana Local
that Europeana is considering using CC0 for metadata. THis means of
course, that the mechanism would be pushed to a broad range of digital
libraries in Europe.

Since this will be something that will affect us all, I wonder whether
we shouldn't have a common position on this. My worry relates to the
well known problems with whether CC0 is a valid mechanism in European
legal systems. I know there is the CC BY fallback, , and some reasons to
use a disfunctional mechanism with a functional fallback (to make a
statement with how this should be done, as opposed to can be done) - but
I still feel uneasy with this solution, if we'll de facto end up using
CC BY for metadata, why not just license it with CC BY? It's a quite
confusing construction in an already esoteric field of metadata licensing.

Paul, I assume you might know a lot about this, I'd be happy to learn
what you think.

And grateful for any other thoughts.

As a side note, in Poland we haven't implemented CC0 for abovementioned
reasons - anyone else has the same problem? Or even better, anyone has
found a working solution for this, a way to think about CC0 in their
jurisdiction?

Cheers,

Alek

--