cc-europe - Re: [CC-Europe] authorities / public bodies using CCPL

  • From: Prodromos Tsiavos <prodromos.tsiavos AT gmail.com>
  • To: John Hendrik Weitzmann <jhweitzmann AT mx.uni-saarland.de>
  • Cc: cc-europe AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [CC-Europe] authorities / public bodies using CCPL
  • Date: Tue, 31 Aug 2010 16:33:16 +0300

Hi John,

The UK government is currently preparing a framework licence for all its content and data. For the former they are planning to use CC_BY across all departments. We will be having a formal announcement on this one very soon.

The Greek government uses CCBY in a number of sites but we still have not made it into a coherent law. The main sites are the government's main site (opengov.gr), the PM's site (primeminister.gr), the opengeodata.gov.gr which is a first implementation of the INSPIRE directive, the deputy PM's office antiproedros.gov.gr and the site which is currently used for the recording of the public sector workforce in accordance to the IMF rules.

In general, Greece and the UK are two very interesting cases of aggressive use of CCPL for different reasons (the former partially to prove transparency as a result of IMF pressures, the latter being an early adopter of open access policies).

Another very important point to take into consideration relates to the legal framework within which governments or administrations operate in different EU MS: it may be a constitutional condition to pass a specific law or regulation stipulating that the administration is going to release open data under a specific licence, else it may not be able to do so. In Greece a PM's decree was necessary for the PM's office web-site and we are currently working on a number of other legislative initiatives in order to either directly release data or set up committees that will set up licensing frameworks that will allow such release of data.

In the UK the situation is much easier, as there is no similar constitutional constraints and we are able to directly work with the National Archives (which are the competent body) on drafting a licensing framework for content, data and software.

Finally, it is important to note that UK and Greece are trying to establish a licensing framework for three types of material content, data and Software across the public sector.

It would be interesting to see how this works in different EU MS and it may make sense to start a wiki page on this one as there is information coming out on this issue on a day-to-day basis.

Please let me know, should you need any further info-clarifications.

All the best,
pRo