cc-europe - Re: [Cc-europe] 6th CC Europe meeting London 28.03.09 11:00-14:00

  • From: "J.C. DE MARTIN" <demartin AT polito.it>
  • To: P.Tsiavos AT lse.ac.uk
  • Cc: cc-europe AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Cc-europe] 6th CC Europe meeting London 28.03.09 11:00-14:00
  • Date: Wed, 25 Mar 2009 11:19:15 +0100

Thanks, Pro, for organizing the cc-europe meeting;
I know how busy you have been (are)...

Regarding the meeting, I will not be able to attend,
and I doubt that Federico will, since he has scheduled
another meeting at the same time.

We will therefore send our comments on this list
and/or in the wiki.

In any case, thanks to you, John and everybody else
who has been pushing this process forward.

Thanks a lot, see you very soon,

juan carlos

P.Tsiavos AT lse.ac.uk wrote:
Dear All,

With a great delay due to my involvement in the organisation of this COMMUNIA
meeting, I would like to invite you all to the 6th CC Europe meeting that
will take place on Saturday the 28th of March at the London School of
Economics between 11:00 and 14:00 at the New Academic Building (the same as
the one where the main COMMUNIA event will take place
http://www.lse.ac.uk/collections/newAcademicBuilding/). I will be giving you
the exact name of the room by tomorrow.

In the previous meeting we have discussed extensively on the possibility of
forming a legal entity under the Creative Commons Europe banner and you may
find an abstract of the minutes on the cc-Europe wiki
http://cc-europe.jottit.com/5th_cc_europe_meeting_notes (password: Vilnius).
Many thanks to Peter Troxler for compiling the relevant document!

As you may see from the discussion the main outcome of the Zurich meeting was
to all work towards the setting of a minimum set of principles we would like
CC Europe to adhere to. John has kindly drafted a Memorandum of Cooperation,
which you may find in the CC Europe wiki at
http://cc-europe.jottit.com/draft_memorandum_of_cooperation (password:
Vilnius)

The core focus of the London meeting is the discussion and signing of the
memorandum of understanding, so I would urge everyone to have a read and make
amendments or comments on the wiki. The idea is to first have all European CC
projects agreeing on a common set of principles and objectives and then see
if we could potentially move to the stage of having a permanent legal form.
In this context, it is important to position the CC Europe working group in
relation to the COMMUNIA project, particularly with respect to what is going
to happen once the COMMUNIA project that funds our meetings is over, so any
thoughts on this issue are more than welcome.

Another target of the London meeting is to discuss possible funding options
for the national CC projects based on our current experience. I have tried to
get someone from the Open Society Institute to talk to us about these issues
but with not much luck especially due their conflict of interest, but I am
looking at other options as well.

Again due to the really heavy schedule in the COMMUNIA and the need to have
the working groups spending some time on Friday evening, I did not plan any
CC showcase event this time, but I could contribute more actively in terms of
the organisation of such an event for the Torino meeting.

After the meeting we could all go for late lunch at a nearby restaurant at
Covent Garden.

I hope that those of you that will be attending the COMMUNIA meeting will
also be able to attend the CC Europe meeting.

Looking forward to receiving your comments and seeing you in London.

Best wishes,
pRo

Please access the attached hyperlink for an important electronic
communications disclaimer:
http://www.lse.ac.uk/collections/secretariat/legal/disclaimer.htm