cc-europe - Re: [Cc-europe] draft letter to the CC Board on communication and governance

  • From: Florian Philapitsch <florian.philapitsch AT wu-wien.ac.at>
  • To: cc-europe AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Cc-europe] draft letter to the CC Board on communication and governance
  • Date: Fri, 25 Apr 2008 10:46:13 +0200

Dear Tomislav,

thank you for your explanation.
I can't say I do not understand, how this 1000$-thing emerged. I also fully understand that CC has to contribute something to the iSummit from a financial view.
But, honestly, what I care about is two things - outcome and optics.
The outcome of that whole arrangement that is relevant to all the CCi-people can be described and grasped very easily: There is no funding for travelling to Sapporo.
The optics that make this indubitably thought through arrangement appear in the worst of all lights is this: We can afford a summit in Sapporo where we invite important (and probably costly) speakers, discuss our done and future work, celebrate the success of CC (or, to be more precise the CC-license-model) and pat each other's shoulder. But since all that costs so much money we can not pay the travel expenses for the people who helped making CC a global success. Their shoulders wont be pattable at the iSummit.
The pattable shoulders will be of people from CC-projects with enough funding an, let's face it, rich countries.

THAT is what is seen by me and probably not only me. As said, I understand the concept of the 1000$. And yet, little do I care about it, when I get no funding for the travel to Sapporo (which was a big motivation in working on 3.0). This is not about 1000$. It is about outcome and optics.

Speaking about the contribution of CC to iCommons. This might be a bit self-satisfied, but IMO the licenses are THE contribution by CC to the iCommons-project.
You wrote that the "rewarding" issue is an issue that needs to be addressed
primarily to CC. Well, I think we are doing that right now.
I do not quite understand your point with the question "how much CC can and is willing to spend on rewarding international projects". Is that really a question? Did the international projects ask themselves how much work the can and are willing to spend on the working on the licenses? They just did it, creating something the society of the information age is using and profiting from. As said in a previous mail - no project lead expects payment for their works. But what they also did not expect is that they had to pay for travelling to and participation in the iSummit.

Finally, I would love to take this discussion to the CCi-list as it would only be appropriate to let all the people participate in it who are concerned by this matter. Is there a cc-europe digest which can be posted there to bring people up to date in the discussion?

best regards from Vienna,
Florian

Zitat von Tomislav Medak <to-me AT mi2.hr>:

Dear all,

Being both the CC project lead and iCommons board member, let me try
providing yet another explanation of those $1000.

iCommons started as a daughter organization of CC - over the last year
and a half two organizations have become separate organizations.
However, CC partners with iCommons on organizing iSummit, it will hold a
legal day for CC legal leads and, probably, a number of other sessions
within the iSummit.

Consequently, as a partner it also foots a part of the costs of
organizing the conference. The CC has proposed that its contribution
will not be a fixed sum, but rather per-person contribution equivalent
to the estimated per-person cost of the iSummit times number of CC
participants. So, $1000 is an estimation what the conference will
actually cost per participant (this does not include the travel costs
for participants), provided the attendance turns out as expected. Thus,
it really can't be said that CC's contribution is unfair. It is not a
taxation on the side of iCommons, but rather the form that CC preferred
to contribute its partner share. If there's no such contribution by CC,
it is iCommons who must find money for costs that are covered from there
and opportunities for that are not abounding.

Now, the issue of how international CCi projects and leads volunteering
are rewarded for their work - e.g. through scholarships for
participation in iSummits - is an issue that needs to be addressed
primarily to CC. It is CC, and not iCommons, who can ultimately go to
grant-givers, supporters and sponsors and say that they have over 45
projects porting licenses internationally. The fact that there's a catch
22 situation that the more international leads and project members CC
has in Sapporo the less money it has for scholarships, should be framed
as a question of how much CC can and is willing to spend on rewarding
international projects.

This doesn't mean that iCommons's work and its direction shouldn't be
discussed and questioned, particularly in its relation to public CC
activities. This should be done - in CC-Europe fora or, better still, in
the iCommons list and iSummit, but not related to the $1000 question.
The two organizations are now legally and financially separate, and
those two questions need to be dealt with separately.

BTW, letter is well worded and CC-hr supports it.

Best,

Tom

| > www.kennisland.nl <http://www.kennisland.nl> |