cc-education - Re: [cc-education] One Lap Top Per Child

cc-education AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: development of an education license or license option for Creative Commons

  • From: David <davidpalmer AT westnet.com.au>
  • To: development of an education license or license option for Creative Commons <cc-education AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [cc-education] One Lap Top Per Child
  • Date: Sat, 01 Jul 2006 21:09:38 +0800

Greg London wrote:

As I see it, the idea is to create a specific
children's CC licence for their own creations.

erm, that is offered to them or is mandated to them?

I think that's one of the questions being put to the group.

Yeah, I'm a bit paranoid, but the idea of software
that comes with an EULA so that the software company
gets rights to anything really good you create,
doesn't seem beyond the realm of possibility.

There are examples now where software developers don't own the ideas they develop in their own time, in their own homes.

A recent case in the States, where a programmer developed a reverse engineering technique, that he had developed outside company time, not on their premises, got stolen off him, endorsed by the court, simply because he had developed it during the time span he'd been employed by that company, and therefore any idea he had belonged to them.

Otherwise, I'd still recommend offering kids
the OPTION of dual licensing under CC-SA and GNU-FDL.

You could create a simplified version of this,
the way CC has easy-to-read versions of their
licenses, which then link to the full legal text.

This front end to the "children's license" could
look a lot like CC-SA's front end, except it could
use a crayon-scribble font. Then link to the real
license which is the legal text to dual license
the work CC-SA and GNU-FDL.

Yep, that's the sort of thing required, I think.
The common ground of communication.
Accessibility.
Regards,

David.