cc-devel - Re: [cc-devel] GSOC-OOo Plugin Update

cc-devel AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Developer discussion for Creative Commons technology and tools

  • From: Nathan Yergler <nathan AT creativecommons.org>
  • To: kushal <kushal.iiita AT gmail.com>
  • Cc: cc-devel AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [cc-devel] GSOC-OOo Plugin Update
  • Date: Fri, 2 Apr 2010 21:58:40 +0100

Hi Kushal,

Comments inline below...

On Fri, Apr 2, 2010 at 3:49 AM, kushal <kushal.iiita AT gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Everyone,
>
> I'm looking over "OpenOffice Plugin Update", just have some doubts. Please
> clarify it:
>
> Issue75 is solved or not, If not what is the reason behind it, since I don't
> have mac laptop, but I can check it in my frnz laptop :)

I don't believe this has been resolved. I suspect it's caused by the
fact that the current shipping plugin is targeted at OOo 2.x, not 3.x.

> I think first moving the codebase to SDK 3 will be better option rather then
> start doing support for OOo support for Draw. What do the mentors think ?

That makes sense to me.

> How does the mentors want support for CC0 in plugin ? can u give a little
> explanation for this ?

I think one way to do it would be to have an option that lets users
select either CC0 or a CC license. When the users selects CC License,
they can further refine their choice of license.

> Pause when the user try to insert license first time (Probable reason is
> because of reading the RDF database from disks). How to remove this issue ?
> Steps ?

That's probably correct; I'm not sure what the solution is. Right now
we load the RDF into an in memory store, if I recall correctly. You
can imagine pre-processing it into a sqlite backed store for speed.
I'd need to look at the way we're loading that more carefully to give
a very detailed suggestion.

> Other features I like to add (Need Approval)
>
> To embed a cc logo in the OOo plugin for ex: Prohibiting Commercial Use
> (!$), Require Share alike, Allow Remixing.

I don't know what that means; embedding icons in the document
depending on the license selected?

> Improve the UI, something like MS-Plugin, making a little big in size.

Yes, the UI could be improved; not sure the MS Plugin is a good guide,
but it'd be worth experimenting with.

> Enable Keyboard shortcut to directly open the UI for embedding Plugin. (Easy
> to do)

Sure.

> To give url to the creative common website in the plugin, so that new user
> can check what cc license means ?

Good idea; we can figure out the best landing page for the user.

> Sometime users only wish to have cc plugin only for let say writer, so
> during installation, we will give an option to exclude for which you don't
> want to include the plugin, By Default it will be install for Writer,
> Impress, Calc & Draw**

That doesn't seem very important to me. If the user doesn't want to us
it in Impress, etc, they can ignore it ;). Additionally, I'm not sure
that plugins can present that sort of installation dialog, can they?

Thanks for the great questions,

Nathan