cc-devel - [cc-devel] liblicense - xdgmime "dependency"

cc-devel AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Developer discussion for Creative Commons technology and tools

  • From: Asheesh Laroia <asheesh AT creativecommons.org>
  • To: cc-devel AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [cc-devel] liblicense - xdgmime "dependency"
  • Date: Thu, 10 Jan 2008 15:54:07 -0800 (PST)

In liblicense, we include a third-party package called xdgmime verbatim. I remember discussing this briefly with Jason or Scott over the summer, and what I remember is Jason insisting we keep xdgmime in the source tree.

That seemed like an odd decision, but now I understand it better. (That's a gentle way to say, "I remember balking at the idea of including this thing verbatim before, but now I understand and apologize if I said anything unreasonable then.") As far as I can tell, the xdgmime software is canonically located at http://webcvs.freedesktop.org/mime/xdgmime/ and is not released or packaged. This is explained at http://webcvs.freedesktop.org/mime/xdgmime/README?revision=1.2&view=markup .

So I guess we'll keep including it verbatim, and every release we'll just check upstream for updates. Us using svn, and them using svn, it'll be a fight to incorporate our changes with any updates they make; this release, I've just decided that we don't need the small updates they've made.

For reference, here's how to check it out of freedesktop.org CVS:

$ cvs -d:pserver:anoncvs AT cvs.freedesktop.org:/cvs/mime login
CVS password: <hit return>
$ cvs -d:pserver:anoncvs AT cvs.freedesktop.org:/cvs/mime co xdgmime

Their code gives warnings with -std=c89, but I doubt they have any interest in changing it.

-- Asheesh.

--
We're happy little Vegemites,
As bright as bright can be.