cc-devel - Re: [cc-devel] In liblicense, why does Raptor support the old namespace?

cc-devel AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Developer discussion for Creative Commons technology and tools

  • From: "Mike Linksvayer" <ml AT creativecommons.org>
  • To: "Asheesh Laroia" <asheesh AT creativecommons.org>
  • Cc: cc-devel AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [cc-devel] In liblicense, why does Raptor support the old namespace?
  • Date: Thu, 10 Jan 2008 14:48:30 -0800

On 1/10/08, Asheesh Laroia <asheesh AT creativecommons.org> wrote:
On Thu, 10 Jan 2008, Jason Kivlighn wrote:
> The only reason web.resource.org is in there is because Inkscape for a
> long time produced SVG's that used this namespace.  I decided in
> liblicense to write the new namespace unless there was already license
> metadata present and that license metadata used the old namespace.  Most
> likely that metadata was written by Inkscape and, so that it could
> subsequently still be read by Inkscape, the namespace is left as
> web.resource.org.  Toward the end of the summer, my patch to have
> Inkscape read and write the new namespace got committed to svn.  So I'd
> assume that most SVG's in the wild that have license metadata are using
> the old namespace.
>
> I know... supporting legacy standards is a pain, but I'm trying to avoid
> confusion on the user end (at the expense of the developer end,
> unfortunately).

"Sadly," that's what us developers are here for. (-:

Sounds good - thanks for the solid explanation.

Jason's legacy support compromise sounds reasonable to me.

NY and ML - maybe a year from now liblicense should migrate old-namespace
metadata to the new namespace?  Perhaps right now it should add a
duplicate of the old metadata in the new namespace?

How about first liblicense release that follows the first Ubuntu release that includes an Inkscape release that incorprorates Jason's new namespace Inkscape patch? :)

Or I wouldn't object to something more aggressive.  Or whatever Nathan says.

Mike