cc-devel - Re: [cc-devel] XMP Developer Challenges and Announcing "Palimpsest"

cc-devel AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Developer discussion for Creative Commons technology and tools

  • From: Mike Linksvayer <ml AT creativecommons.org>
  • To: Terry Hancock <hancock AT anansispaceworks.com>
  • Cc: CC Developer Mailing List <cc-devel AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [cc-devel] XMP Developer Challenges and Announcing "Palimpsest"
  • Date: Sun, 25 Mar 2007 16:33:01 -0700

On Sat, 2007-03-24 at 14:22 -0500, Terry Hancock wrote:
> What to do with XMP data or adapted Dublin Core data once we have it.
> Can we define "math" operators for concepts like "combination",
> "derivation", "collection", etc?
>
> e.g.:
>
> xmp_collab = xmp1 & xmp2
>
> would create an XMP (or DC?) object

XMP is just a constrained RDF serialization. DC can be represented as
triples as well, might want to think internally in triples and serialize
them as appropriate for the XMP/native/whatever format.

> to represent the correct attribution
> and licensing of a work which derives from the works from which xmp1 and
> xmp2 are taken?
>
> Or maybe there should be helper functions like:
>
> xmp_collab = derivation(xmp1, xmp2)
>
> instead.
>
> What kind of interface would you like? What concepts should it incorporate?

Not being a fan of operator overloading...

But the interesting domain problem is figuring out what each operation
should do.

Your overall idea looks excellent, please do send updates.

Thanks,
Mike

--
http://wiki.creativecommons.org/User:Mike_Linksvayer