cc-devel - [cc-devel] License Metadata Extraction and Search, Summer of Code

cc-devel AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Developer discussion for Creative Commons technology and tools

  • From: Jason K <jkivlighn AT gmail.com>
  • To: cc-devel AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [cc-devel] License Metadata Extraction and Search, Summer of Code
  • Date: Wed, 21 Mar 2007 11:18:25 -0700

Hi,

I'm looking into adding support for searching/indexing licenses for a
service such as Tracker, Beagle, or Strigi for a Google SoC project. My
first hurdle though, is picking which indexer. The ideal service would
be cross-desktop, to avoid implementing extraction filters over and over
again for different indexers. It also needs to be widely adopted.

Tracker is looking like a good candidate, given that it is a
Freedesktop.org project, is desktop-neutral, and appears to have the
intention of following standards as well as creating standards for other
search services to use. I get the impression GNOME will be including
this soon.

Strigi is also desktop-neutral, though favored by KDE and is going to be
used by KDE 4. It doesn't rely on KDE, though. In fact, Strigi's only
requirements are are the stdc++ libraries, while Tracker is glib-based.

And for Beagle, Mono is one significant reason I'm shying away from it.
Tracker or Strigi appear more interoperable and look to be getting wider
adoption.

Formats I plan to include are:
HTML, SVG, SMIL, XML in general (RDF)
PDF, JPEG, other images (XMP)
MP3, OGG, other audio/video
RSS

>From what I've seen, most license data is either in RDF or XMP form.
MP3, OGG, and RSS are exceptions. For all these formats, I would follow
the embedding specification on the Creative Commons website, at
http://creativecommons.org/technology/usingmarkup

Since most licenses are placed in RDF or XMP, that code can be separated
and reused from various extraction modules.

So enough rambling... thoughts?

-Jason Kivlighn