cc-devel - Re: [cc-devel] CD containing CC-licensed material

cc-devel AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Developer discussion for Creative Commons technology and tools

  • From: Jon Phillips <jon AT rejon.org>
  • To: Andrea Glorioso <andrea AT digitalpolicy.it>
  • Cc: cc-devel AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [cc-devel] CD containing CC-licensed material
  • Date: Sun, 07 May 2006 14:55:36 -0700

On Thu, 2006-05-04 at 22:58 +0200, Andrea Glorioso wrote:
> On Fri, May 05, 2006 at 01:09:13AM +0530, Soumyadip Modak wrote:
> > Hi,
> > I was looking at the Google Summer of Code proposals, and the Creative
> > Commons LiveCD proposal caught my eye. Talking to people on #cc on IRC,
> > threw up a few interesting possibilities.
> > "tannewt" suggested that instead of a Linux LiveCD, I could make CD
> > resembling the OpenCD (http://www.theopencd.org) with CC-licensed content
> > and maybe a few applications to work on the material, like audacity, etc.
> >
> > I'd like to know the opinion of people on the possible structure of the
> > CD.
> > Will a traditional Linux live CD be a better idea, or is the OpenCD style
> > CD
> > more useful ? Please suggest ideas that you would like to see implemented
> > on
> > the CD.
>
> Wouln't a GNU/Linux live CD containing CC licensed content and CC-enabled
> applications the right solution? People with Windows could still access the
> content, but the CD could also be used as a showcase of the possibilities of
> "free culture" works - from functional content (software) non
> non-functional.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Andrea

I think they are both good solutions. However, the LiveCD would require
one to reboot, which kind of sucks, but TheOpenCD-style would allow for
one to just run the software and use content.

Really, I'm curious how the proposals will sound and how they address
the main sustainability arguments I brought up in other emails (and on
the challenge).

Jon

--
Jon Phillips