cc-devel - Re: [cc-devel] API to Internet Archive?

cc-devel AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Developer discussion for Creative Commons technology and tools

  • From: "Nathan R. Yergler" <nathan AT yergler.net>
  • To: Tim Olsen <tolsen718 AT gmail.com>
  • Cc: cc-devel AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [cc-devel] API to Internet Archive?
  • Date: Mon, 17 Oct 2005 17:02:14 -0500

So two things. First, you *have* to specify the license URL in the <licenseurl> element, otherwise IA won't display the license correctly. The fact that we populate the <license> element is really just an artifact of the way ccPublisher handles metadata. That said, we have settled on the text there as the de facto standard for embedded license declarations, so if you populate it, that'd be cool. Two points about that text:

1) The "verify at ..." is optional (this just needs to be taken into account when parsing); you can't make any validity claims without this portion, but we don't require it (since it requires an external metadata file).
2) The url following verify at is the location of the verification RDF, not the license. So you have [date] [holder] Licensed to the public under [license_uri]. Verify at [verify_uri].

Nathan