cc-ca - Re: [Cc-ca] Hoping to direct a different comprimise

cc-ca AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Creative Commons Canada

  • From: Marcus Bornfreund <marcus AT uottawa.ca>
  • To: Creative Common Canada <cc-ca AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Cc:
  • Subject: Re: [Cc-ca] Hoping to direct a different comprimise
  • Date: Wed, 21 Jul 2004 20:58:28 -0400

Thank you Russell for raising another extremely important point. You are entirely correct in pointing out that for the CCCa to be of value to Canadian creators,

"[c]onditions which are not clear in the commons deeds should
not exist in the license, or more specifically, conditions that exist in
Canadian copyright law that are not mentioned in the matching commons deed
need to be explicitly waived."

Including the right of integrity in the Commons Deed and Machine-Readable Code will be necessary irrespective of whether or not this right is waived. To do so we will require both a layperson explanation of the right of integrity and an accompanying CC icon. If you have suggestions for an icon that can convey the concept of 'integrity', as expressed by the following two moral rights, please send them to the the list or me directly.

> You must not do anything that results in the a material distortion, or mutilation of the Work that is prejudicial to the Original Author’s honour or reputation.
> You must not associate the Work with a product, service, cause or institution that is prejudicial to the Original Author’s honour or reputation.

I will be sure to keep the list updated on developments in implementing the ability to waive the right of integrity as they arise.

/Marcus
<x-tad-smaller>________________________
Marcus Bornfreund

Manager / Part-time Professor:
Law & Technology Program <http://www.commonlaw.uottawa.ca/tech/>

Faculty of Law : Faculté de droit
Common Law Section : Section Common Law
University of Ottawa : Université d'Ottawa
57 Louis Pasteur Street
Ottawa, ON CANADA K1N 6N5

t.  613/562-5800 x3299
f.  613/562-5124
e.  marcus AT uottawa.ca

GPG/PGP Key ID: 39DB1B1D</x-tad-smaller>