cc-bizcom - [Cc-bizcom] RE: Gates' assertions about copyright reform

cc-bizcom AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: A discussion of hybrid open source and proprietary licensing models.

  • From: Sigmascape1 AT cs.com
  • To: cc-bizcom AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Cc-bizcom] RE: Gates' assertions about copyright reform
  • Date: Mon, 10 Jan 2005 13:03:56 -0500

I realize that there has been, and will continue to be, a lot of discussion
on this unfortunate story, but this is how I feel about it, and why I expect
no less from Mr. Gates...

Microsoft does not enrich the cultural landscape with its products, and it
never will. Microsoft uses patents and copyrights to make money, and that is
certainly 100% legal. Where I have issue with Gates is his lack of
understanding about what 'giving back' really means. If Gates understood the
U.S. Constitution, he would realize that patents and copyrights are not
perpetual, and that at some point, he and his company will have to 'give
back.' By using flexible licensing, many 'give back' on a daily basis. Sort
of meeting copyright law and the public domain halfway.

He may also be interested in why someone, anyone, would take some type of
artistic work he or she created (software code, possibly) and wish to share
it with the rest of the world. Basically, he misses the point that sharing
creative works spawns new creative works, and it spawns new ways to make
money. GNU/Linux is one of the great examples of how 'sharing' actually makes
it easier to create and develop new works and products. Certainly the
Creative Commons' licenses do this everyday, and I use them everyday. I know
that my photos and digital art are being sampled, and in many cases, verbatim
copies are being tossed around various P2P networks, and that's fine with me.
I made the decision to 'give back' and I hope that others will as well.

Microsoft could be the most disliked company in the world, I don't know. I
know it has to be in the top 10, and its place is well-deserved. Microsoft
might be able to escape this top ten list if they were willing to engage the
'communists' they claim are attempting to thwart their business plans. The
day when Gates and the believers in giving back break bread together will be
a great day, and it would take MS off the top ten list.

MLF