cc-bizcom - Re: [Cc-bizcom] Is Copyright Neccessary?

cc-bizcom AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: A discussion of hybrid open source and proprietary licensing models.

  • From: Rob Myers <robmyers AT mac.com>
  • To: cc-bizcom AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Cc-bizcom] Is Copyright Neccessary?
  • Date: Mon, 25 Oct 2004 15:11:43 +0100

The only problem I can see with the model after a quick read is that
over-production might be much less of a problem for eBooks and online
publishing than for printing presses. You have the initial DTP costs and the
hosting costs, but no physical production or transport costs. This *might*
affect the model's performance past 2000. The model could always ramp up the
legal costs associated with publishing to compensate for this. ;-)

- Rob.
This is a really nice find.

FWIW, the model is produced using a style of model called "system dynamics" and it would be a great methodology to use for modeling the kinds of modeling tradeoffs discussed on this list.  <see analytic modeling comments on this list 9/27 under "Greetings List">

There is a free (as in the sense of beer) version of the tool used by the author Terry Maxwell (biblio ref:
Ventana, 2000. Vensim 4.0 Manual. Harvard, Mass.: Ventana Systems. ) The application can be downloaded from:

http://www.vensim.com/download.html

His code is listed at the end of the article but I'll contact the author and see whether we can get an original copy.

MVA