cc-bizcom - Re: [Cc-bizcom] An important initial question for everybody

cc-bizcom AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: A discussion of hybrid open source and proprietary licensing models.

  • From: "Matthias Urlichs" <smurf AT smurf.noris.de>
  • To: Marshall Van Alstyne <marshall AT MIT.EDU>
  • Cc: cc-bizcom AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Cc-bizcom] An important initial question for everybody
  • Date: Fri, 20 Aug 2004 09:47:19 +0200

Hi,

Marshall Van Alstyne:

> A third goal is to enumerate licensing tradeoffs then to put them into a
> simulation model of a socially optimal license. The code for this would of
> course be fully open. A simulation would move a debate over licensing
> tradeoffs into a kind of recursive open science where the design of systems
> for developing code becomes an open social construct in code.

Frankly, I cannot see how that might be possible.

The distinction of free/gratis and free/libre is difficult enough for
*people* to understand, and that's the least of your worries -- there
simply is no universally accepted economic model, and part of this
discusson is about economy. If the assumptions your model is based on
are under dispute, what do you think will happen to the conclusions the
simulation will arrive at?

> To provide a more detailed answer to this question, I'm also posting a
> three page summary of such tradeoffs in the next message.

I'm off to a much-needed vacation now, so I'll have to read that when I
get back.

--
Matthias Urlichs | {M:U} IT Design @ m-u-it.de | smurf AT smurf.noris.de