bluesky - RE: Grapevine - scalability

bluesky AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Global-Scale Distributed Storage Systems

  • From: "Lucas Gonze" <lucas AT gonze.com>
  • To: "Global-Scale Distributed Storage Systems" <bluesky AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: RE: Grapevine - scalability
  • Date: Tue, 11 Dec 2001 14:30:13 -0500

Yeah, no disagreement that it's a really useful thing, just that it works with
the kind of heavy connection churn you get in public nets like Gnutella. The
dropout rate has to be less than the time to fill a hole left by a dropout.
So
either you have to get the hole filling time below average (mean? minimum?
don't know) node lifespan and or you have to increase the node lifespan.

- Lucas