bluesky - RE: Grapevine - scalability

bluesky AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Global-Scale Distributed Storage Systems

  • From: "Lucas Gonze" <lucas AT gonze.com>
  • To: "Global-Scale Distributed Storage Systems" <bluesky AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: RE: Grapevine - scalability
  • Date: Tue, 11 Dec 2001 10:29:14 -0500

> I'm not saying it cannot work, but personally I will keep trying to get
> the correct emergent properties out of networks consisting of nodes
> behaving under a simple set of rules to the grave sooner than give in to
> the nightmare of trying to keep this sort of network consistant in the
> wild.

I don't believe that CAN/Chord will ever make sense for the kind of transient
relationships you get in public nets like gnutella, but I think that CAN/Chord
make sense when the social environment is right. In a business environment
social pressures to do the right thing should be enough to get churn down to a
rate that's slow enough for the reconstruction logic to work.

- Lucas