bluesky - Re: The Grapevine Project

bluesky AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Global-Scale Distributed Storage Systems

  • From: Tony Kimball <alk AT pobox.com>
  • To: bluesky AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Re: The Grapevine Project
  • Date: Thu, 6 Dec 2001 00:19:30 -0600

Quoth Stephen Blackheath on Thursday, 6 December:
:
: Ultimately, if an attacker has more of something than you do, then the
: attacker will win. The only thing you have control over as designer is
what
: that something is. We chose CPU time rather than network bandwidth or
access
: to IP addresses, because none of the strategies relating to the latter
things
: seemed to work. I am certainly open to better ideas.

Another commodity which is typically used is human cognitive capacity.
A network of many participants has a lot of attached wetware while
even the most resourceful attacker can typically muster only a
relatively small troop of human agents.