bluesky - RE: a global fs

bluesky AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Global-Scale Distributed Storage Systems

  • From: "Josh" <josh AT mercuryfs.net>
  • To: "'Global-Scale Distributed Storage Systems'" <bluesky AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: RE: a global fs
  • Date: Fri, 10 Aug 2001 15:40:08 -0700

Thanks for the reply. Accessing data is a bit of a challenge, I agree. Your
PGP example is a good example a fundamental security issue. Here's what
I've done about it. I've broken the file access method into 2 main steps.
The first step is resolving the URL to the file handle. This is done with a
somewhat client/server approach, in that its hierarchical, and security
applies. PGP-like signatures are used, to ensure the authenticity of the
information records (used for the resolve step). Essentially, you must use
a trusted source to resolve the URL to file handle. But the file handle is a
function of the data. It's basically the size, crypto hash, dns domain
(exception, this value is assigned) and file extension. Because of this
design, the next half of file access is much easier. Once you access it via
its math values, the provider is irrelevant because security is a non issue.
This is because only the data you're requesting will have those values. To
put it another way, at this step in the process there is only the concept of
a corrupt file, not a false file. Since this method allows anybody to
provide the data, the task becomes getting it via the fastest method. The
PGP signature example you stated would apply to the first part of the file
access, when the URL is being resolved to a file handle, but not to the
second part. Another byproduct of using this method is caching. If you have
a file with the same handle locally, then you need not request it from the
network.

As for the globally unique user identifier, it's used for encryption and
authentication. Basically, if I want to encrypt a file so only X can decrypt
it, I need to use X's public key. Hence the need for the identifier. In
order to make the encryption features work, the central system which is the
key authority, must keep a record of all the users. Now for a local area
network file system, this wouldn't be a political challenge. But for a
global file system, this central authority would be looked upon as being the
achilles heel, especially if it stored its end users names, addresses, etc.
I believe if the central authority was to be able to function while only
storing an incomplete credit card number and email address, it would be
politically feasible.

Separately, I don't expect this list to exist only for my benefit, however
that is the reason I'm here. Instead, I don't waste time with irrelevant
philosophical / political issues, only technical/business issues. I do hope
for a fruitful technical discussion, otherwise I'm wasting my time. I laugh
at those that see email groups as their social livelihood (not you
personally). I prefer to focus on billable hours, and go online for tech
support and news, not the email groups. But now that I'm working on this
project full time, I'm back online. Last time I was online this much was 8th
grade...... Funny how the psychology hasn't changed. There's a few good
people, the rest are either naysayers who poke, but have nothing useful to
say, or remain silent. Like most things in life, you have to wade thru the
majority of crap to find the gold nuggets. I remember this one client who
had a great network administrator/engineer in house. But the guy couldn't
communicate, be assertive, etc. He sat in the computer room (probably in
newsgroups) while his managers hired me to do what he was capable of. Funny
thing was, based on how his network was setup, this guy knew exactly what he
was doing. But he lacked the business skills to be successful. He didn't
like me, and felt I was a threat to him (maybe he wasent that dumb
afterall). For moral reasons, I specifically said "I think you're capable of
doing this, assuming you have the time", to him, in front of his supervisor
(who hired me). After a few months, and about 40 billable hours, his
supervisor (who was new to the job), asked me if I felt he should replace
his administrator. I said "only if you can find somebody better". Then for
the next 3 weeks, I helped him interview people. The administrator was
replaced, and I didn't loose any sleep over it. For those same reasons, I
don't spend my days typing emails. This is business. That's how I see
things. I'm not a manager (am a project manager), and I'm not an in house
network administrator. I've worked with enough startup companies, and have
observed useless idiots scoring funding.

If they can do it, so can I.

- josh