bluesky - MFS compared to ocean store

bluesky AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Global-Scale Distributed Storage Systems

  • From: "Josh" <josh AT mercuryfs.net>
  • To: "'Global-Scale Distributed Storage Systems'" <bluesky AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: MFS compared to ocean store
  • Date: Fri, 3 Aug 2001 00:32:41 -0700

The reason we don't need to fight with the cops is because the info we have
doesn't identify our end users. They must get the credit card companies
and/or ISPs to ID them. So I need not defend our end users, because the Cops
will just run into somebody else's system. UNI ID is an intermediary. It
will take the cops resources to do this, which means they are most likely to
chase child porn and nuclear warhead designs. This wont be a type of thing
where we address 100 issues a day. You cant send email with UNI ID, only
receive, so you cant threaten people, so the cops wont have to come to us to
demand to know who people are. Its simply not necessary for us to put up the
fight, because they will need a court order anyhow! For Visa and the ISP! So
my views are irrelevant. If I'm a conservative or liberal, the procedures
would be the same.

Now, a separate issue. I've had a chance to read over ocean stores method of
a global identifier (the MFS handle is the comparison). They are quite
different in design. The MFS handle is built for an identity function. It's
completely extracted from the data, and the ocean store GUID is only
partially extracted; part of its identifier is assigned. The MFS handle is
created from the URL and its data. In this respect, 2 identical files will
create the same MFS handle. That's the identity function. The MFS handle is
a globally unique identifier. Since MFS requests data via MFS handle, all
routes that the request follows can eavesdrop on the request and/or the data
that flows thru it. Imagine that I'm in California, and I request something
from Japan. Hawaii eavesdrops on the request as it passes by. Now, Hawaii
may have the file, but it doesn't need to do a search, figure out it doesn't
have it, then pass the request on, thus incurring the delay of the search.
Instead, it immediately passes the request, then as the data starts to flow
from Japan thru Hawaii, Hawaii can THEN figure out it has a copy, and
TRANSPARENTLY continue the data stream instead of Japan, thus saving the
traffic between Hawaii and Japan. To see the figure for this, go to
www.mercuryfs.net/design/fig_39.pdf As low priority, hawaii can begin the
search when the request first flows thru it, and can have it completed after
japan has started sending its data. If a large movie is being watched in new
york, from japan, over time all the links transporting the movie will have
searched if they have it, in a group effort to conserve bandwidth.

Remember that the MFS handle is a function of the url and data, therefore
its NOT assigned by the file system. Instead, its assigned TO the file
system, by the file. THAT is a very important distinction between MFS and
all the others.

I expect it to be a much bigger hit outside of the US before inside the US.
I predict that New Zealand will be a big fan of it.

The design is online. My ideas are documented. I know that all software
begins with blueprints, that's why I'm working on the design, not the code.
If anybody has a technical question with my ideas, let me know, I'll happily
respond.