bluesky - uni id

bluesky AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Global-Scale Distributed Storage Systems

  • From: "Josh" <josh AT mercuryfs.net>
  • To: "'Global-Scale Distributed Storage Systems'" <bluesky AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: uni id
  • Date: Thu, 2 Aug 2001 19:37:09 -0700

As for the validator having your credit card number, you would have to trust
the location where you are entering your card number. But remember that the
number is not to be xferred across the internet. Because of the use of OSR's
file system kit (www.osr.com), the NT version will not likely be an open
source client.

My approach is this: get a separate credit card, just for uni ids, it need
only be a 100 dollar card. It will make your card bill easier. UNI ID
utilizes the worldwide visa and mastercard network, and will not require the
end user to remember a new ID (only the PIN number). Just as fake ATM's can
get your card's, so can fake computer terminals using UNI ID.

The laws will be specific to each country, but I'm convinced that any credit
card laws regarding the xfer of credit cards will app.

Also, part 4 of my license has been altered, since there are many people out
there that hate cops. I'll just cite the existing federal laws that allow
the SS to operate, because I'd have to follow the law like anybody else.
That way I can get past this thing about the cops. Thing is, if the SS finds
a pound of cocaine, from what I understand, their rules don't let them do a
damn thing about it. That's assuming they got into your house because of a
protection issue, not financial... at least that's how their warrants are
written from what I've been told.

Guys, get past the patent, this is basically a royalty free license. Its
going to be running according to the internets rules once its established.
The rules in place now apply to the startup nature of this. Once globally
deployed, its going all standards based. IE the design will be written in
RFC style, the patents more or less a non issue because everybody wants a
single global file system standard (hopefully).

Why do I get crucified for seeking a patent? If I'm going for funding, they
will ask "why don't you have a patent"'

This is s business decision, I'm not pissing on the open source initiative,
I'm just saying that Microsoft has some valid criticisms of it, so do a lot
of other for profit entities. I want to be almost open source.

I'm getting the feeling that I'm expected to give away MFS, to be chopped
into bits by everybody else?
Maybe the world isn't ready for a global file system yet. If not, then ?FS
will be the next big thing. But I really don't want to see it go as "yeah,
it's a form of MFS"

Why should I purposely try to be a Visicalc? Why cant I be allowed to pay my
bills by making a bit of money from MFS?

This is supposed to be a technical discussion group, but so far its all
about ideals. The design is online. What should I do, retype it all in
email?

Also, as for the other email about the ratio of his words to mine, my
response is: Sounds to me like he could care less about the license issues,
as do I.