bluesky - RE: talked to ESR

bluesky AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Global-Scale Distributed Storage Systems

  • From: "Josh" <josh AT mercuryfs.net>
  • To: "'Global-Scale Distributed Storage Systems'" <bluesky AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: RE: talked to ESR
  • Date: Thu, 2 Aug 2001 18:06:04 -0700

He doesn't seem to really care, and recognizes that I'm essentially an open
source method, but I assume he accepts that my goal warrants an exception to
the current method. He's just pointing out that a successful open source
project must have an element of management, and just as each group of people
have their own leaders, be it implied, elected, hired, or declared king,
it's the democratic approach that works. Democratic being an executive and
congress. I just don't want to enhance NFS and all the others, when they can
adopt MFS for next to free. If UNI ID is a hit, then it can go non profit.
But we all need to remember that the internet has its own executive(s). The
DNS root servers, ICANN, TCP/IP, etc. Just because I have the patent,
doesn't mean I'm excluding people from implementing it. I'm only requiring
global interoperability, and that will be one hell of a challenge into
itself.

If Microsoft or Novell invented MFS, you can bet they would patent it too.
Probably the same with Sun. Because they would recognize that one basic
design should be the global file system.

And MFS is the first viable candidate, in my opinion. Yeah, its an
incomplete design, but whats left is cake, in my opinion. I can even switch
over to PGP and slam dunk the security issues. Which are already slam
dunked.

Nobody has thought of hashing a credit card number and PIN number to create
a psuedo-anonymous form of identification. UNI ID beats the political
challenges.

- josh