bluesky - Re: User Anonymity

bluesky AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Global-Scale Distributed Storage Systems

  • From: Wei Dai <weidai AT eskimo.com>
  • To: Global-Scale Distributed Storage Systems <bluesky AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: User Anonymity
  • Date: Fri, 16 Feb 2001 00:09:28 -0800

On Thu, Feb 15, 2001 at 11:43:12PM -0800, hal AT finney.org wrote:
> Under this law, you are OK if you are just passing the data through.
> Servers OTOH are required to remove data upon request of the copyright
> holder. Hide the server and there is no suppression possible.

But if hiding the ultimate server becomes popular, surely the laws will be
changed to hold the last known server responsible. I think the reason
that's not already the case is not that voters think it would be too
draconian, but that the law-makers simply haven't considered the
possibility of hiding the server yet.

However if we do want to hide the server in order to take advantage of the
DMCA exemption, I think a good way to do it would be through rendezvous
servers. The ultimate server connects to a rendezvous server through an
anonymous communications channel. The rendezvous server then advertises
everything stored by the ultimate server as its own, and passes requests
and data between the ultimate server and clients.

This way we don't impose costs on parts of the system that don't require
anonymity, and we don't have to change the system if the DMCA loophole is
closed and server anonymity is no longer useful.