bluesky - Re: deployment vectors

bluesky AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Global-Scale Distributed Storage Systems

  • From: hal AT finney.org
  • To: bluesky AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Re: deployment vectors
  • Date: Thu, 15 Feb 2001 23:58:35 -0800

Adam Back writes:
> So what pressing problems could one fix as a deployment vector to get
> censor resistance: a good global flash-crowds and DDoS resistance
> system which has some free decentralised peering system that makes it
> essentially anarchic and uncontrolable as a virtue in it's method to
> protect against flash-crowds.
> A distributed web space able to cope with flash-crowds seems like a
> fairly killer app.

But how do you get censorship resistance from this? Under the DMCA if
you are notified by a content owner that you have a certain document
that he owns, you must remove it. Streamline this a bit and you have
Wei's proposal for a global index of forbidden documents which everyone
must check against. I don't see that a system which spreads popular
data over multiple servers would avoid this threat.

> Akamai try to provide high speed, some managed
> monitoring, etc. but it's still one companies managed system.
> Something isn't distributed and anarchic which we need for a couple of
> reasons (censor resistance, and to get a large enough pool of
> resources for flash-crowds) until it's run by everyone in a preferably
> zero barrier to entry system, so anyone with resources can join, and
> users can use, and ISPs have some reason to use it (eg. it reduces
> load for the same reason as web caches).

A P2P commercial system with some of these properties is the Swarmcast
from OpenCola,
http://www.opencola.com/products/4_swarmcast/technology.shtml. "When a
user requests a large file from a content provider's site, the user's
Swarmcast application automatically locates and downloads chunks of
the file from the nearest, least busy computers that have previously
downloaded the file. The user's computer downloads simultaneously from
as many nodes in the network as possible, maximizing their available
download capacity..."

Hal