bluesky - Re: Test message

bluesky AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Global-Scale Distributed Storage Systems

  • From: graydon AT venge.net
  • To: bluesky AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Re: Test message
  • Date: Sat, 10 Feb 2001 20:53:10 -0500

On Thu, Feb 08, 2001 at 03:34:41PM -0500, Hal Finney wrote:

> One of the issues which has been discussed on the Freenet mailing list is
> the difficulty of engineering a system suitable for use in a country where
> the government is restricting access to the net. A good example today is
> China, but of course in the future more countries may have restrictions.

imho this is going to be an issue dictated by politics and law -- what
the courts will and will not buy wrt plausible deniability. you can go
encrypted, plain or steganographic; secret-shared or whole-file; session
key or client key. all of it comes down to what the country happens to
have outlawed and who happens to be presiding when they haul you into
court. eventually (I think the hope is) this stuff will be so ubiquitous
that it's _known_ to violate laws restricting speech, and hence you are
easily targeted by a special-purpose law ("don't run software X").

the politics will come to a head sooner rather than later if the systems
don't try to hide what they're being used for. lets focus on making them
useable, fault-tolerant, scalable, and searchable. that's hard enough.

-graydon