baslinux - Re: [BL] Can't boot from a USB Stick

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT SDF.ORG>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Can't boot from a USB Stick
  • Date: Tue, 27 May 2014 14:59:11 +0000 (UTC)

BL predates USB flash drives and was therefore not designed to boot from them. The 2-floppy version does not have USB support. (It also will not boot from a SATA drive, or in a computer where there is a SATA drive unless maybe you disable it in BIOS).

David Moberg provided a 1-floppy BL that recognizes USB devices.
Maybe it can be made to boot from flash drive?
http://keesan.freeshell.org/bl/usbfloppy/1440-mouse-printer.img
(I think). Burn it to a floppy.

I created usbcam8.gz, an 8MB BL with an svga-based viewer that works on desktops and very old laptops (and I think the same kernel) that I can copy to a partition on a camera flash card. Boot with the floppy, chroot to the BL partition on the flash card, and with the camera plugged into a desktop computer with monitor, view photos. If you get the 1-floppy usb BL to boot, you can probably also get camera linux to boot directly.

You sound quite experienced. Can you bring BL into the modern world by compiling a 2.6 kernel and modules for it, updating glibc to at least 2.10 (requires the newer kernel), adding gtk2, and getting Opera 12.16 or Firefox 17 and flash to work?

Sindi