baslinux - Re: [BL] simple question about shell

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT SDF.ORG>
  • To: baslinux <baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [BL] simple question about shell
  • Date: Mon, 11 Jun 2012 21:31:51 +0000 (UTC)

On Mon, 11 Jun 2012, Terry Maiden wrote:

I have a few simple questions about shells. When I start up BL it starts a shell. At the shell prompt I type in "startx" so X runs in the initial shell. When X comes up I sometimes open a window with a shell prompt in it. Is this the same shell or another? Two shells running at this point? Say I then start LINKS-0.95. There is an option in LINKS to open another command window, another shell? Three shells running?

You are opening an xterm or rxvt pseudoterminal inside X.
Instead of doing this, you can type Alt-F2 to get a second terminal. Ctrl-alt-F5 will bring back X. Links does not need X unless you download and install the graphical version that Steven compiled and type links -g.