baslinux - [BL] Micro TransPort Trek 2 AGP

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT SDF.ORG>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [BL] Micro TransPort Trek 2 AGP
  • Date: Mon, 9 Jan 2012 03:35:07 +0000 (UTC)

Works with BL3 and BL2, framebuffer (vga=790 1024 res looks good, any lower res or non-framebuffer or text in X looks awful), with one of my 2.4.31 kernels or 2.2.26 'big' kernel.

'fatal: kernel too old' means I tried to boot with a 2.2.26 kernel and glibc 2.3.6 which was not compiled (SW11) to use pre-2.4 kernel.

maestro 2 sound works in DOS and Win98SE but crashes BL3 and in BL2 gives lots of error messages "APU register select failed". I looked this up and it is a kernel 2.4 bug but 2.2.26 gives the same messages then also crashes. Sound also crashes pulp linux with 2.6 kernel (and alsa sound)
thought someone said to go back to puppy 4.12 alsa which this is, because later alsa was broken.

USB as module, or compiled into my kernel or David Moberg's 1-floppy USB kernel, also crashes BL at the point of loading the USB drivers.
USB works in Pulp linux and in DOS and Win98SE (nusb33e.exe has the drivers for usb storage).

I don't have the memory to try regular Puppy linux - maybe Tiny Core will work right. es1968 alsa or maestro.o oss.

Pulp linux can be made to use framebuffer. I don't recall if the text looked quite this bad in Windows.

pcmcia works fine and so does Xvesa and Xfb. Nice solid keyboard. Nice screen. But not recommended for internet radio or USB flash drives.

Can take 256MB pc66 or pc100 SODIMMs. 6GB HD gives plenty of space for five operating systems. Plus ramdisk BL2 and loop BL3. 266MHz. Working floppy, untested CD-ROM drive.

In contrast to the Winbook SLi, the keyboard and mouse do not freeze up when you do anything graphical, the trackpad works in Puppy linux, and sound works in no linux (Winbook works with BL not Puppy sound). I do not recommend paying for either of them to use with BL. Linux has better support for better known brands.

Sindi Keesan

  • [BL] Micro TransPort Trek 2 AGP, sindi keesan, 01/08/2012