baslinux - Re: [BL] Two questions

  • From: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Two questions
  • Date: Thu, 27 Jan 2011 17:10:41 +0000 (UTC)

On Thu, 27 Jan 2011, baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org wrote:

Are there any other "light" Linux implementations (comparable to BL)
available?

Would it be possible to install Firefox in BL 3.5? Yes I know it's too big
and that it would eat the CPU on the systems BL is usually used on but I
still would like to try it. Can be done? Or not?

Firefox 2 works if you first upgrade glibc to Slackware 11 version.
I got Firefox 2 out of DSL linux, which is lightweight but out of date.
I rarely use it. I can upload to my site, or you can download the DSL .iso file with BL, mount -o loop filename.iso /mnt, and go into /mnt
and poke around looking for Firefox in there. Or burn DSL to CD and try it from there first.

http://keesan.freeshell.org/firelibs.tgz - should contain the libraries needed to upgrade glibc.

I think this works only with BL2.

Seamonkey 1.1.19 GTK1 from http://seamonkeyproject.org works. Uncompress it on / and cd to seamonkey* and type seamonkey (wrapper script) to run without needing to install it.

Neither of these works at all sites. Firefox 2 sometimes works at sites where they do not but is slower to load and run. Set it NOT to save more than a few days' history unless you have lots of memory.

Opera 9 works in BL3.5

http://keesan.freeshell.org/blfiles.htm - see instructions and a link to operalibs.tgz for Slackware 8.1 glibc upgrade for BL2. I think you need another library or two for BL3.5. Steven's instructions call for adding larger packages of libraries.

Check the BL archives with such questions. Links, BL3.5 site, Support, click on link, change xxx to your search terms (or you will get results for XXX rated sites).

Puppy Linux works in 128MB (firefox needs a bit more). Installs with grub but I got 4.31 to work with loadlin (or lilo for the 'full' version).
Version 5 Lucid requires grub not loadlin and uses Ubuntu packages.
About 100MB download for 4.3.1 with Seamonkey 1.1.18, or Lucid comes without a large browser and offers a choice to download.

Since I cannot yet get any GTK2 programs working in BL2, or a 2.6 kernel, or Flash 9 or 10, I use Puppy sometimes (to view Youtube without first downloading it, on computers with SATA hard drive or USB card reader which need 2.6 kernel).

Browserlinux is Puppy-based and includes Firefox or Chrome, latest versions, in about 75MB. I have been setting it up for people who only want to use the internet. It includes also pdf viewer, music player, text editor, and other things for which there are no icons. Menu, more, more.

Slitaz and Tinycore linux in less, 64MB?
Slitaz does not support PCI linmodems.

Sindi Keesan