baslinux - Re: [BL] Firefox or Seamonkey in BL3

  • From: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: baslinux <baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Firefox or Seamonkey in BL3
  • Date: Fri, 12 Nov 2010 13:24:31 +0000 (UTC)

Seamonkey 1.19 apparently does need glibc 2.3.4 (that is what the readme says), not 2.3.1 (I must have misread something somewhere). Opera 9 can use 2.3.1 (SW9) or 2.2.5 (SW81).

Fastmail.fm is another free mail service that works with just about any browser including retawq and dillo. (Opera 6 did not work, IE 5 did). Secure login and javascript optional. It works okay over dialup. Gmail start page was over 500K. Yahoo looked like over 900K and included news with photos. Can Yahoo be set to forward mail elsewhere?

If you right click on an empty part of the screen then on Block content, you can stop Opera from displaying selected images, but I think it will still download them (even with images turned off in Preferences or in View).

Opera 8 uses a lot less memory than 9. Seamonkey 1.19 uses about the same as Opera 9 at least with a blank page.

Sindi Keesan