baslinux - Re: [BL] cd-rom drives x basic Linux 3.5

  • From: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] cd-rom drives x basic Linux 3.5
  • Date: Thu, 11 Nov 2010 18:56:12 -0600

baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org wrote:
On Fri, 5 Nov 2010, baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org wrote:

I have installed Basic Linux on a 486/33 with32 MB RAM. using the "HD-install" procedure. Followed that with L.Savage's advice on installing a CD-Rom drive, as given in Basic Linux_350: Post installation suggestions. But I cannot read what files on the CD with the command, "ls /mnt/cdrom". Nothing happens I am dumped back at the prompt.

What do you mean by 'install' a CD-ROM drive?
The standard BL3 kernel does not include CD-ROM drivers. You need to add them manually with insmod. See /root/netsetup:
insmod ide-cd cdrom and isofs.

"Install" is Win-speak. I guess in Linuxese I will be "adding" a cdrom :-) Anyway I followed the advice of Savage' post install procedure. I don't think there was a mention of any drivers just a modification of a configuration file (in itself a scary process to indulge not knowing the consequences of a misstep.. Now I have to find out about insmod and isofs
Yet , when I say,"dmesg|grep -i cd-rom" I recive the correct output (according to Savage)

Neither can I access the files on hda1(DOS).

mount /dev/hda1 /hd
ls /hd
Thanks this works BTW why is "/hd" at the end? If I want to install all the add-ons mentioned on the site, can I say
"pkg /dev/hda1/baslin/*.tgz" and save myself a lot of typing or do I have to install each package by itself, one by one?

Being a total newbie I would appreciate any pointers in syntax or a good source of man-pages.
I think Steven included some pointers in the links start page. Type links
(assuming you are online with BL3).

My first BL computer was a 486DX 75MHz. 32MB is enough to run Opera 8.54 graphical browser but links2 graphical uses less memory.

Sindi

I am trying to salvage this 486 (have two more) from the recyclers and may even offer it (fully configured) on our local FreeCycle.Org

Thanks for your help.

regards
hg