baslinux - Re: [BL] SliTaz again (was: Midori web browser)

  • From: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] SliTaz again (was: Midori web browser)
  • Date: Tue, 1 Jun 2010 19:27:11 +0000 (UTC)

On Tue, 1 Jun 2010, baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org wrote:

Hi Sindi,

I don't like to say this here, because i've
already complained about talking so much about
SliTaz here on the BasicLinux forum, but ...

For the computers you are talking about, i think
SliTaz would be a better choice of distro than BL.

The oldest laptop on which i have SliTaz running
is a Toshiba 430cdt from 1996, with a pentium cpu
and 32 mb of RAM - however, while SliTaz does boot
to the desktop, everything runs so slowly that i
never use it that way, i always opt for command-line
instead.

But on laptops from around 2000-2001 with 256 mb of RAM,
SliTaz will run great and screamingly fast.

Puppy Linux graphical wants 128MB memory (if it does not load itself entirely into memory). I have used it on 200MHz computer with 112MB memory. Their target is 300MHz (circa 1999) but most computers that speed that come our way have 64MB memory and can only go to 192MB.

People very rarely give us anything that new or with that much memory. I gave someone a lovely 233Mhz (1998) which I managed to up to 64MB memory, with BL2 and Seamonkey working nicely on it. Even sound works.

I am using BL on several computers under 200Mhz, with 24 or 32MB RAM, which is enough for Opera 8 if you load only one web page at a time and are not in a hurry. Only problem is Opera 8 insists on more than 8-bit color and I have three Compaq 120MHz with 8-bit color (and more memory).
And links does not do much javascript.

I would like to use BL2 with Midori and other graphical/javascript browsers that require gtk2, and to be able to compile for cardbus wireless cards and other things that won't even compile with Slackware 11. Some snowy day I will figure out 2.6 kernel and modules and try importing prebuilt libraries and programs from small linuxes.

-monz